View group oportunities below
Dance Therapy Group
Who can participate: Existing Clients
About: This group is an exciting psychological study exploring the benefits of Dance on mild mental health issues as part of a Monash University research study.
By the end of the program, you will learn basic Waltz, Cha Cha, Salsa, Rumba, and other dance steps free of charge, and will possibly improve your emotional and physical health, meet new people and make friends.
Throughout history, music and dance have been consistently used as tools for healing and health similar to the way that pharmacology and therapies are used today. Your participation will contribute to the important research on how the performing arts can best serve people living with a mental illness in today’s society.
Participation may benefit you if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- A reduced capacity for enjoyment, interest, and concentration
- Sleep disturbances
- Diminished appetite
- Low self-esteem and self-confidence
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Agitation and irritability
- Mild-moderate anxiety
Cost: Free of charge
Group size: 15-20 participants
Duration: Weekly 45-minute classes running over 8 consecutive weeks
Start Date: September 2022
- You will be taught and supported by two professional dancers Jeremy and Sarah Garner (as seen on Dancing with the Stars)
- You will be required to participate in a brief interview before the start date, again after week 1 (3-5min), and after week 8 (20min)
- No prior dance experience is necessary
- From ages 18 and above, all genders, must speak English
- Participation is completely confidential (your name and details are anonymous)
If you would like to be a part of this fun and exciting opportunity, please speak to your treating psychologist or email us for more details.
Stay tuned…more group programs coming soon!